Massachusetts Legislative Updates
- Shelter Regulations: See MAC’s comprehensive page on this regulatory issue. Hearing held 9/2013 on shelter and rescue regulations.
- Pets in Disasters: S. 1172 was signed by the Governor on March 24, 2014.
- Animal Cruelty: the Governor signed a bill on August 20, 2014 in response to the “Puppy Doe” case. Read more.
- Animal Control: Passed into law became effective on October 31, 2012. See ACOAM‘s website for more information. More information about the new law and other animal control issues can also be found on our site here.
Massachusetts Legislative Resources
- MSPCA – Legislative Affairs: The Legislative Affairs office of the MSPCA provides information about the latest legislative issues concerning animals. This link also includes information on how you can get involved in protecting animals by joining their Animal Action Team.
- HSUS State Legislation List for Massachusetts: Update on state legislative activities being monitored by the Government Affairs Department of The HSUS. Provides links to electronic alerts to keep you up-to-date on hot issues in animal protection, State Action Alerts, and Federal Legislation.
- ASPCA Advocacy Center: sign up to receive alerts on MA issues.
- Links to help you find your elected officials:
Massachusetts Laws and Regulations
Many of the statutes pertaining to animals can be found in Chapter 272 (for animal cruelty) and Chapter 140 (for animal control).
- For some summaries, see the Mass. Trial Court Law Libraries website
- General Mass. cruelty statute
- Mass. state website
- An Act Preventing Suffering and Death (2016)-MGLA Chapter 140, Section 174E
- Massachusetts and Federal Law Rules, FAQ and more regarding Service Animals
Select Massachusetts Animal-Related Regulations (and policies):
- Pet shop regulations (330 CMR 12.00)
- Cat and dog regulations in laboratories (105 CMR 910)
- Carriage Horse Regulations (520 CMR 13.00)
- Dogs in MassParks (302 CMR 12.13 and 302 CMR 12.17 (5))
- Hunting/Trapping/Wildlife (321 CMR)
Shelter/rescue regulations and policies:
- Emergency Order for Shelters
- Draft shelter/rescue regulation (330 CMR 30.00) (hearing held 9/2013)
- Policy Statement Regarding Rescue/Shelter Animals Being Offered for Sale/Adoption at Retail Outlets
- Mass Dept of Agricultural Resources shelter/rescue page