Lost/Found Pet Resource Guide
Losing your cat or dog can be a gut-wrenching experience. There are, however, things you can do to help keep your pet safe at home. And if your cat does not return home from a night out, or your dog slips the fence, Massachusetts Animal Coalition (MAC) can be a resource for how to respond to this situation.
The combined effort, expertise and (unfortunately) personal experience of animal care professionals in MAC have resulted in this resource guide. Meant only as a guide, these web pages have been developed to assist people with animals in Massachusetts. Much of this information has been compiled following countless hours of research and inquiry with professionals around the country already involved in solving the mystery of the missing pet and applied to the humane movement in Massachusetts.
Please visit the following links:
- What to do when you lose an animal companion. A step by step list of things to do, in priority order.
- Survival Mode – the definition of survival mode and why it matters in the case of your missing pet
- Animal control resources and information. Knowing your local animal control officer can really help if you lose a pet.
- Lost & found animal resources and websites. There are numerous web resources out there; this is a list of MAC’s favorites.
- Lost dog information.
- Lost cat information.
- Preventing the loss of your cat or dog.
- Lost animal poster template. How to create a poster to garner peak results.
- Call Log. Once the word gets out, your phone will ring off the hook. Logging the calls can help with follow up later.The Internet has hundreds of links to animal-related information. Here are some of our suggestions for posting or searching for pets, as well as for resources for more information about how to find a lost pet.
Posting or Searching for Lost and Found Pets
Starting with these major pet websites, post your lost pet AND search the posted pets every day.
- Missing Dogs Massachusetts
- MSPCA’s Lost Pet Recommendations
- Mass Lost Pet
- Granite State Dog Recovery
- Commonwealth Cat Recovery
- Missing Animal Response Network
- Tabby Tracker
- Facebook Groups
Articles with more information to help you find your lost pet