Using Animal Control to find a lost pet

In Massachusetts, every city and town is required to have an Animal Control Officer. This officer is always responsible for dog issues; the law gives the town animal control the responsibility for dealing with stray and lost dogs. Depending upon the town, the officer may or may not be able to deal with issues about cats. But the local Animal Control Officer is always an important point of contact. S/he can provide a wide range of information and referrals to other animal resources in your area.

In some towns, Animal Control may be part of the police department. In other cases, Animal Control may be part of another city department like Inspectional Services. You can find the Animal Control listing for your city or town in a phone book along with the other listings for your town offices. Or, call your local police department or city hall for the information.

List of Massachusetts Animal Control Officers